Sugar in all its many manifestations; from chocolate to pasta and all the biscuits, ice cream, bread, and cake in between, produce an energy rush. These refined sugars are easily absorbed into the bloodstream and give us a getup and go. However, there is a price to pay, as sugar levels stabilize themselves by dipping as low as they rise. This cycle of energy ups and downs, really exhausts the body.
The stress our body undergoes through sugar highs and sugar lows produce the hormone, cortisol, which, if in the bloodstream over long periods of time, can affect your libido, menstrual cycle, and most importantly your metabolism. If you find you gain weight around the chest and abdomen which is hard to shift, whilst your legs and arms stay slender and slim then you probably have high cortisol levels within the body.
This is especially prevalent as we enter menopause and the change in hormones may mean we find it harder to maintain our normal body weight. In Chinese Medicine, this is under the domain of the Liver and my next online course will be covering this aspect in detail but before we can get the liver working tip-top we must stabilize our sugar intake and ensure the spleen is healthy. The liver maintains the metabolism and the excretion of hormones such as cortisol but before addressing the symptom we must address the cause of cortisol and excessive sugar intake is a primary cause of the stress hormone cortisol being produced in the body.
Quick tip – chewing your food and taking time for your meals lowers stress levels and cortisol in the body. The act of chewing breaks down the food and releases the sugars into the mouth giving a relaxed feeling of satisfaction.
If you want to learn more about how to manage your sugar intake without denial or special diets to regulate your weight, moods and hormone levels then visit the online programs. Choose between Stopping Sweet Cravings, Sailing through Menopause – Sexy Savvy & Slim or a big broad Good Food, Better Health. These personal programs come with 1-1 support and help you balance your sugar levels, your body weight, and your hormone levels. Click on the colours to visit the course that applies to you.
Here’s what you receive
- Direct personal contact with me to guide you through Chinese Medicine information. During the program, you will face challenges and tough times but I will be there to support as you make changes in your life
- Instructional video classes – these are entertaining TV cookery programs with added bites of nutritional information about how the food works on your body in Chinese Medicine
- Loving Kindness meditations for sleep and daytime. The energy that we need for a happy balanced life comes from more than just food – it comes from care and love. These meditations will help you generate these feelings
- Helpful tips and hints including a shopping list so that you know what to have in your cupboards and can stay on track long after the course is over
- Access to the closed Facebook group so that you can share your experience and gain support from fellow participants in our online community.
- An of course lifetime access to all the content